Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to delete my in-progress tax return and the tax tool option is not in the left-side menu even after selecting the tax return. How do I delete my progress?

3 Replies

I am trying to delete my in-progress tax return and the tax tool option is not in the left-side menu even after selecting the tax return. How do I delete my progress?

If you want to delete the unwanted return, select "View all tax returns" from under "My Returns", and delete the unwanted return by clicking the small trash can next to it (in the right side of your screen).

Note: If you only have one return, you'll need to start a new return before you can delete the existing return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!

AmyH1
Returning Member

I have the same issue where my tax tool option is not available, and the little garbage can button is also not available.  Only available on the return that I filed, but not the in progress one. 

Note that when you delete a return, you won't be able to access it again and we won't be able to retrieve the information for you.

The steps below outline how to delete a return for TurboTax Online: 

Sign in to TurboTax Online for the tax year of the return you’d like to delete
On the Great to see you again! screen, locate the return

If the return you want to delete has a trash can beside it:

Select the trash can icon
When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

If the return you want to delete doesn't have a trash can beside it:

You will need to start a new return. On the page that displays your tax returns, you'll see two returns: the blank return you just created, and the return you want to delete. Locate the return you want to delete and select its corresponding trash can icon. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.