Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am wondering how to afford paying a 1804 $ tax in New Brunswick when I make 2500 a month. Is there a way to lower down taxes?

I wonder if it is because I added a 3300$ bursary and maybe should change it from other income to part of my business. I am an artist. I work part time for another artist, sculpting for him and I received some grant money from the government.
3 Replies

I am wondering how to afford paying a 1804 $ tax in New Brunswick when I make 2500 a month. Is there a way to lower down taxes?

You mention a bursary, did you enter it correctly in your return? Did you receive a T4A from the government? If so which boxes are filled on the information slip? 

You may want to review this link from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Artists and Writers

Here is our TurboTax article/video to verify if you've taken advantage of: 10 Tax Benefits for Low Income Canadians in 2023

If you believe you may have an error in the way you have entered your income and grant, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you for this!

I did not receive a T4, I put the amount of 3300 in other income, which now I cant seem to locate on the turbo tax website. I tried to contact your support team about this issue and the last person over the phone did not know how to help me. I am unsure if I can be exempt as an artist. Thank you for the link, but I am still confused. I have received income from two different places. One was a two week residency where I had to apply and I "won" the opportunity to be a part of it. I was able to take the two weeks off from my job to focus on my art work there. It was more a research and creation residency. The second was the same but it was a festival where I also has to apply and won a spot. There, I only spent four days at the residency and was awarded money for my time and energy.

Here is a great TurboTax article on when to claim bursaries.

We suggest you contact the CRA at 1 (800) 959-8281 for clarity on your case

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.