Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woohoo1

I have completed university and after grad degree. Does it make sense that i have 15,000 provincial tuition carry forward and 25,000 federal carry forward? Seems a lot

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have completed university and after grad degree. Does it make sense that i have 15,000 provincial tuition carry forward and 25,000 federal carry forward? Seems a lot

It is best to check your Notice of Assessment from 2016 to make sure that the carry forwards of your tuition and education credits are correct.  It is quite possible that your carry forward amounts are that large if you have gone to school for a number of years and your income was too low to use the credits.  If you have a CRA My Account you could also check there to make sure the amounts you are using in your 2017 tax return are correct.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is best to check your Notice of Assessment from 2016 to make sure that the carry forwards of your tuition and education credits are correct.  It is quite possible that your carry forward amounts are that large if you have gone to school for a number of years and your income was too low to use the credits.  If you have a CRA My Account you could also check there to make sure the amounts you are using in your 2017 tax return are correct.