Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit to the number of T5008s Turbotax can handle? A calculation error? How can I find out why 13199 isn't even close to my financial institution's total?

In 2022 and 20223 tax years, TT added 44 T5008s directly from CRA.  The total in my tax return for 13199 was way off, thus my capital losses.
2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there a limit to the number of T5008s Turbotax can handle? A calculation error? How can I find out why 13199 isn't even close to my financial institution's total?

Please make sure that your t5008s have Capital Gains selected as the type of income.

View solution in original post

Good call.  I was able to identify T5008 slips that had "investment" instead of "capital gains" in the type dropdown.  These turned out to have BON or DOB rather than SHS in box 15 of the T5008. 

I changed these and reloaded the draft return.  This made a difference but still not even close to the number my financial institution provided.  It's taking a lot of time to check. Where can I find a worksheet for Schedule 3 that lists the line items (2), (3) and (5) for box 13199 and 13200?  I couldn't find "supplementary" information on p. 4.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Please make sure that your t5008s have Capital Gains selected as the type of income.

Good call.  I was able to identify T5008 slips that had "investment" instead of "capital gains" in the type dropdown.  These turned out to have BON or DOB rather than SHS in box 15 of the T5008. 

I changed these and reloaded the draft return.  This made a difference but still not even close to the number my financial institution provided.  It's taking a lot of time to check. Where can I find a worksheet for Schedule 3 that lists the line items (2), (3) and (5) for box 13199 and 13200?  I couldn't find "supplementary" information on p. 4.

The remaining difference turned out to be items with DOB in field 15 on the T5008.  Thanks so much for this very helpful tip.  I also discovered that I could cut and paste the summary list of T5008s into Excel and add them up that way.  So my problem is resolved.

(I would still like to know why there is no list on Schedule 3.)

Thank you for your update. The forms in the TurboTax software are as per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)'s requirements.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

A few follow-up notes:

DOB items were Treasury Bills that were sold before maturity.  Checked with my financial advisor and they should stay flagged as investment not capital gains so they appear in Box 12100.  The bonds needed to be changed to capital gains as the interest was declared elsewhere.  So two different cases.

The pdf file of T-slips on the CRA site was incredibly helpful as it lists all the fields of all the slips and is searchable.  Easier than fumbling through html and links.

I also discovered I could cut and paste the list of T5008s in Turbotax into Excel.  The linked field for disposition popped into one column and was easy to total. 

This is great information, thank you for sharing it and for the update. We appreciate it as future tax filers will be able to use this.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.