Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Expense For Other Dependants

Hi,

I have entered medical expenses from my defendants besides my family's. Why Turbotax doesn't add it into my total medical expense and calculate tax credits?

5 Replies

Are the dependants older than 18?  

Yes, dependents both are seniors.

What type of medical expenses are you trying to claim?  The deductible medical expenses are considered a non-refundable tax credit, meaning they can help lower how much taxes you’d have to pay.

To qualify, your household’s eligible medical expenses must add up to the lesser of 3% of your net income or $2,479. For example, if your net income is $60,000, all medical expenses beyond $1,800 are a credit against your taxable income.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Expenses for prescription drugs. I understand it is non refundable tax credits and my income is higher enough to include both my parents' medical expense, since 3% of my income is more than 2,635 and total medical expenses are much greater than 2,635. I don't understand why Turbotax don't include my parents' medical expense in total medical expenses I claimed under my return. 

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.