Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My tax return isnt accepted by CRA because of line 179 error. (disposition of property). Error is 40179. I've done everything suggested online but it doesnt work.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My tax return isnt accepted by CRA because of line 179 error. (disposition of property). Error is 40179. I've done everything suggested online but it doesnt work.

We're aware of a couple of things that people are getting stuck on:

1. Make sure you've entered the year your bought you home in the field labeled Year of acquisition, not the number of years you owned the home.
  2. If you're preparing your return at the same time as your spouse and you co-owned the home, be sure to enter your spouse's percentage of ownership as 50% (of whatever split is applicable).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

We're aware of a couple of things that people are getting stuck on:

1. Make sure you've entered the year your bought you home in the field labeled Year of acquisition, not the number of years you owned the home.
  2. If you're preparing your return at the same time as your spouse and you co-owned the home, be sure to enter your spouse's percentage of ownership as 50% (of whatever split is applicable).
Brad McM

no info on line17900

where do i find it?

@Brad McM You need to use Form T2091(IND) (or Form T1255 if the person is deceased).