Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendy Von-Niessen
Returning Member

Negative Net Self Employment Income at start of entering data

I'm just starting out. Once my Tax slips were entered it showed an income summary of where all my income is coming from. I have done nothing else with it but it is showing a NEGATIVE Net Self Employment income of -$30,983.48.  How can this be when I haven't entered anything for my Self Employment Income yet.  This happened to me last year as well and I managed to delete the amount as I thought it was a glitch in the program.  But now I am thinking that perhaps there is a reason but I cannot find it out.

Last year I was using the CD version but this year am doing the online version.  I find the help for the online version very limited compared to the CD version I had. 

This year I started out using the Standard version as I want to see what my return would be without my Self-Employment.

11 Replies

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Wendy Von-Niessen
Returning Member

I contacted that number but they have no clue and are investigating.  As the suppliers of tax software, your employees should be able to tell a customer where a field is populated from.  That figure doesnot match any of my figures but its a negative amount every year.  To randomly drlete the amount may not be a good idea if it id there for z readon.  I want my taxes to be submitted correctly.  It should not be this difficult.  I basically spent the whole afternoon with turbo tax not getting anywhere.  I'm leaving on holidays and only have a day when I get back to get my taxes done and don't want the info to be incorrect.  I shouldn't have to pay extra to speak to an expert on this issue.  

Wendy Von-Niessen
Returning Member

They said it would be 8 to 10 days for an answer.  Not acceptable at tax time!!!

Has this been resolved? I am having the same problem. 

@etvanvliet Did you have self-employment losses from last year that transferred over?

Wendy Von-Niessen
Returning Member

When it happened to me it was not because of my losses ... it had to do with my inventory but I don't remember what it was.  Turbo Tax people did not have the answer.  I figured it out but I don't know where the paper is that I figured it out on.  I thought I emailed support the solution but I couldn't find it.  Once you have put your business info in it will go away.  If I find the papers I will come back and explain.

Thank you for the update we appreciate it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks for your quick response. I did not have any losses last year. It's like the program placed a minus (-) in front of what I entered for earnings. When I added my expenses, it further added to the "loss" instead of just reducing my earnings. ie if my earnings were $10,000 and I entered them as such, it instantly displayed them as a loss of $-10,000, and any expenses added after further added to the "loss." As I said, my earnings last year were not a loss so there was nothing to carry forward. I should not be in a loss situation when I'm finished entering my data. 

Looking forward to seeing how this was corrected. Thank you for your updates.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.