Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netfile Error "If your marital status is other than married, common-law or widowed... you do not have an eligible spouse."

Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble filing this year. I keep getting an error that says:

If your marital status is other than married, common-law or widowed, or your spouse was not a resident of Canada throughout the year, you do not have an eligible spouse. Information entered for an eligible spouse must be removed.

I have entered my marital status correctly as common-law, and it's updated on my CRA account, but turbotax still says there's a discrepancy. I've tried so many things, double checked the date that my status changed, re-entered my partner's info... everything. We are both Canadian residents and have always been, and my marital status on my CRA account matches what I've entered on turbo.

Has anyone else seen this error? Any way around it other than filing by mail?

4 Replies
PetroS
Returning Member

Netfile Error "If your marital status is other than married, common-law or widowed... you do not have an eligible spouse."

A person you are living with in a conjugal relationship, but are not married to, and one of the following situations apply.

They:

• have been living with you for at least 12 continuous months. This includes any period you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in the relationship
  • are the parent of your child by birth or adoption
  • have custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before the child turned 19 years of age) and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support

@somethingofsoil Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

I got divorced in Dec. 1999, and I have never remarried nor had a common-law spouse.

I  may have put single in my Turbotax when I filed the return.

Your marital status should be divorced. You can call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to make the change at 1-800-387-1193 or follow their link to change your status.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.