Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No rental income - T776 cannot be deleted

I have selected "no" in my profile that I do not have rental income. However, T776 still populates and I cannot Netfile b/c of this error. I have tried to clear the form and remove unused form, but this does not delete the form from my tax return. Can I print out my tax return and mail it CRA w/out T776 or is there a solution to remove T776 and Netfile?

4 Replies

I am having the same issue!  I have NO rental properties or income and cannot seem to get rid of this form. I've tried the 'Clear Form' but the prepopulated info is still present and when I do my review I keep getting the error that "Your business or rental address is missing information (i.e. number and street) or it has a character that can't be used. These in... "

This is very frustrating. I do have a T2125 form filled and checked no for any rental income out but have done so the last few years and never had this issue of a form for rental properties showing up. I did sell my principle residence but that was not rental income.  Help! How do I get rid of this form!

@jeneend If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

SOLVED - SOLVED --- I had the same issue, spoke to agent Fahida, Toronto, she SOLVED THE PROBLEM. She is going to post in this forum. Basically, the problem is with the T2125 and the T1 General. Make sure your name address etc. is all filled out exactly on these forms (it was just these 2 forms).

There is a glitch in the software (HEY TURBOTAX DEVELOPPERS THIS IS AN OFFICIAL BUG REPORT) that has NOT been solved since 2019 based on the first agent I spoke to. I was told first to start over the return, and i have 160 tax slips so uh-uh... A fluke I called back 2 hours later (8:45 pm May 1st, 3 hours before deadline) and got Fahida, who had someone with the same problem a week ago (my lucky day i guess). 

The way I understand it is if there`s missing personal info (name address postal code city etc) on your t2125 or a mismatch with the T1 general, the software thinks you have rental income and generates a T779. THIS IS A BUG!!! You like me, try clearing the info on the form and closing unused forms a dozen times and it won`t work UNTIL you correct the name address postal code etc so it matches on T1 and T2125. 

I walked through that with her. And then I closed all unused forms, the T779 did not come back and I was able to NETFILE. I`m taking 3 stars off TurboTax for this, that nearly caused me to have to print out returns after deadline and pay penalties and interest or at the very least spend half a day printing and mailing.

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for sharing this information with us, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.