Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ON479 incorrect calcuation

I have un-linked spousal returns for my parents, as TurboTax doesn’t allow the returns to be linked in my parent’s situation.

Having said that, Spousal income is filled in on Easy step and it populates correctly on the INFOS sheet.

It does transfer correctly to the Federal forms,  However, it does NOT populate on line 6 of ON479, resulting in an incorrect calculation for the Ontario refundable credits.  There’s no way to over-ride line 6, so I’m stuck.  Anyone who has Medical expenses, with an un-linked spousal return will have this calculation error and could cause an incorrect refund on the lower income spouses return.

Any clues on how to work around that or better yet, fix it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can choose who gets the Ontario seniors care at home tax credit based on who is claiming the medical receipts. 

As per the CRA:

If you had a spouse or common-law partner who died before December 31, 2023, and who was 69 years of age or older on December 31, 2022, you can claim this credit regardless of your age, if you meet all of the other conditions above. In that situation, do not enter their net income on line 6 of Form ON479. If your spouse or common-law partner died on December 31, 2023, include their net income in the calculation of your family's net income on line 6 of Form ON479.

If you are preparing a return for a resident of Ontario who died in 2023 and who was 69 years of age or older on December 31, 2022, you can claim this credit on their final return if they meet all of the other conditions above. In that situation, do not enter the surviving spouse's or common-law partner's net income on line 6 of Form ON479, unless the person died on December 31, 2023.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Can you please clarify why you can't complete a joint return? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

My Father passed away.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Is the problem happening the return of your father, your mother or both?

Both.  The spousal income doesn’t populate on the ON479

Oh, and (I havent’t looked for it in detail yet) but there needs to be a way to turn off the inclusion of this refundable tax credit since only one “spouse” can claim it.)

You can choose who gets the Ontario seniors care at home tax credit based on who is claiming the medical receipts. 

As per the CRA:

If you had a spouse or common-law partner who died before December 31, 2023, and who was 69 years of age or older on December 31, 2022, you can claim this credit regardless of your age, if you meet all of the other conditions above. In that situation, do not enter their net income on line 6 of Form ON479. If your spouse or common-law partner died on December 31, 2023, include their net income in the calculation of your family's net income on line 6 of Form ON479.

If you are preparing a return for a resident of Ontario who died in 2023 and who was 69 years of age or older on December 31, 2022, you can claim this credit on their final return if they meet all of the other conditions above. In that situation, do not enter the surviving spouse's or common-law partner's net income on line 6 of Form ON479, unless the person died on December 31, 2023.

Thanks!

You are welcome.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

JSus

TurbotaxSusan

I would like to confirm my understanding:

If during 2023, one spouse passes away before December 31, 2023, on the surviving spouse's schedule ON479, the deceased spouse's income does not flow through and is therefore not required in the calculation of the family income.  Only the surviving spouse's income is considered in the calculation of the reduction of the Ontario Seniors care at home tax credit.  Is this correct?

On the deceased spouse's schedule ON479, as you mention below, the surviving spouse's income does not flow through and is therefore not required in the calculation of the family income.  Only the deceased spouse's income is considered in the calculation of the reduction of the Ontario Seniors care at home tax credit.  Is this correct?

Therefore, can both spouse's (surviving and deceased) claim medical expenses each (different expenses, of course) on their respective schedule ON479 and therefore potentially each get the $1500 of Ontario Seniors care at home tax credit?