Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicoMili

Parents living apart

I am using Turbotax to file my parents return jointly. My father has moved to a nursing home, but the software does not allow me to enter their 2 different addresses. How do I fix this without overriding, which will prevent me from netfiling?

9 Replies

Parents living apart

Do they usually get their mail or do you or your mom get the mail for both of them?

NicoMili

Parents living apart

My mother gets both their mail.

Parents living apart

We just did a fake return with spouses living apart and I am not sure where you see that you need to enter his address, can you please clarify where you are at on your tax return?

NicoMili

Parents living apart

I carried over their information from last year’s return. The same address (from last year) was automatically entered into the Identification area on both parent’s returns. When I try to enter my father’s new address, the change is automatically entered into my mother’s return. The address field in my mother’s return is in blue text.

Parents living apart

Are you using TurboTax Desktop/Download or are you using TurboTax Online? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

NicoMili

Parents living apart

I am using Turbotax Desktop/download standard for Quebec.

Moussi2

Parents living apart

You will have to go to the introduction, where the software ask you if your spouse lives elsewhere. You will answer yes to that question and will be able to input the nursing home address. 

Merci de choisir TurboImpôt. 

NicoMili

Parents living apart

Thank you,

To get to the introduction, do I have to start a new file?

I still cannot edit the existing file, and the screen shot you show is not what I have.

Parents living apart

I understand that you need help with TurboTax Download. To access the Contact Info section, please follow these steps: Go to EasySteps, then click on Introduction on the left-hand side of the screen. Scroll down and you will find the Contact Info section. If you entered your dad's information first, you should answer "No" when prompted if your dad can claim any credits. 

Your mom should answer "Yes". If you entered your mom's information first, then put "Yes" on hers and "No" on your dad's. Then, continue with the process.

You will only need to enter your dad's address when you get to the Provincial section, where you can claim credits for both of them. Check off only the ones they can claim.

Continue through the prompts and you will arrive at the image attached. Then continue and complete the form as necessary.

I hope this clarifies the process for you. Let me know if you have any further questions."