Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkn99
Returning Member

Part year non-resident - Leaving Canada- Trurbo Tax desktop bug with respect to departure date

It seems there might bea  bug in the Turbotax Canada Desktop application.  This occurs if you left Canada part way through the year. 

For example let's say you were a Canadian who left Canada to move to another country in Aug of 2023.  During the easystep wizard it asks you "What province/territory did you live in on December 31, 2023.  If you select Non-Resident (as you should to answer the question correctly), the section on the future page "Contact info" is missing the Residency Changes section which is where you need to enter the date you left Canada.  

So the only way I can see to keep the Residency change section is to incorrectly state that you were a resident of a province on Dec 31st.

BTW I did call the contact line for Turbotax and the lady I spoke to was going to take it up with her manager, but couldn't confirm I would get contacted with the outcome.

Another thing is, maybe they don't want you filing a return with Turbotax (printing and mailing since you can't netfile as a non-resident) if you are a part time resident for the year.  

11 Replies

Part year non-resident - Leaving Canada- Trurbo Tax desktop bug with respect to departure date

Yes you can print to mail your return. Are you still a non-resident of Canada? 

Please make sure that you were a non-resident on December 31st- since you left in Aug. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mkn99
Returning Member

Hi @TurboTaxBrenda  Any idea why Turbotax asks you your residency status on Dec 31, 2023 and then if you say non resident, it removes the section where you would put the date you left Canada?

As a work around, you can enter the date on the INFOWS worksheet in Forms mode. 

mkn99
Returning Member

@TurboTaxSusan Thank you. 

If I leave the easystep question What province/Territoty did you live in on Dec 31, 2023 set to Non-Resident then go to the INFOWS form. I see that section and am able to enter the departure date on the INFOWS form

What should be entered for  Residency type? 

Turbotax seems to have auto selected on the INFOWS worksheet the following items with Xs:

1. Canadian Resident

3. Non-resident or Deemed Resident

5. Emigrant-Left Canada

However, on the easystep it is still asking to select one of the 4 options before you can continue.

I was a non-resident of Canada

I was a deemed non-resident of Canada

I was a deemed resident of Canada because I stayed for 183 days or more in 2023

I was a deemed resident of Canada for other reasons

mkn99
Returning Member

Sorry I missed responding to your question, yes I am still a non-resident at this point and have been since Aug of 2023.

Then, you will just continue your return as is. 

mkn99
Returning Member

@TurboTaxSusan Thank you. 

If I leave the easystep question What province/Territoty did you live in on Dec 31, 2023 set to Non-Resident then go to the INFOWS form. I see that section and am able to enter the departure date on the INFOWS form

What should be entered for  Residency type? 

Turbotax seems to have auto selected on the INFOWS worksheet the following items with Xs:

1. Canadian Resident

3. Non-resident or Deemed Resident

5. Emigrant-Left Canada

However, on the easystep it is still asking to select one of the 4 options before you can continue.

I was a non-resident of Canada

I was a deemed non-resident of Canada

I was a deemed resident of Canada because I stayed for 183 days or more in 2023

I was a deemed resident of Canada for other reasons

Choose the one that is for you and if you aren't 100% sure please contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 for assistance. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

tanyabz
Returning Member

I'm having the same problem when using the TurboTax online version. Since it doesn't have a Forms mode, is there any workaround in the online version to enter the date when you left Canada?