Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julia5

Error code TT403 - "An error has occurred while reading your return from disk. Please ensure that the file is a valid TurboTax file and in not corrupted. "

Feb 24/2019 - TurboTax Standard -8 returns-Digital Download.

Downloaded, Installed, registered and applied the software updates. Created a tax file for my husband and I and my daughter created one for herself. Both files had been created using the "Transfer TY2017 return" feature (to transfer from the TY2017 Turbotax Standard version installed on the same machine"). 

All seemed OK...and we can still (so far) access my daughter's file. 

However, I am getting error code TT403 - "An error has occurred while reading your return from disk. Please ensure that the file is a valid TurboTax file and in not corrupted. " on my husband's and I. 

The only difference in between my daughter's tax file and I is that on ours we entered the T4s, reported the sale of a rental/Sch 3/T2091 (2) forms, and reported the sale of a principal residence...I noticed that the T2091 (2) did not get updated with info entered on the corresponding worksheet (Worsheet opens when I double click on the field in T2091(2)) - Not sure if this is important but that is what I noticed...After the error, I tried so many things...un-installed/re-installed the software/tried to re-open from the tax backup file, etc...nothing helps...I don't mind re-entering the data (not sure if the corrupted file counts toward the 8 licenses...Hope not)...but what if it happens again once I entered everything?! Too many people are reporting this error...so I doubt it is my machine...it would have corrupted my daughter's file as well...but hers is still OK.

Thus, I cannot open the combined return for my husband and I after saving - ERROR CODE TT403 (tax and backup file have really small size...like all data was deleted!); Can open my daughters single return;

Attached screenshots show what happened when I tried to restore the tax backup file...it was corrupted as well.

I wanted to unistall the patch/software update/ that was installed automatically after the turbotax installation but I do not have that option...

4 Replies

Error code TT403 - "An error has occurred while reading your return from disk. Please ensure that the file is a valid TurboTax file and in not corrupted. "

Please try uninstalling & reinstalling the program using the download from our website instead of the CD. It will not delete any of you saved returns.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647640

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3169457

If you are still having issues, please contact our phone support for further assistance. (*not available to TurboTax Free users*): https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013

27-2Albert
Returning Member

Was your your issue ever resolved?

I've used Turbo Tax for 5 years and suddenly getting the exact same message when trying to save my husband and my taxes. It is a very simple straight forward return, so it has nothing to do with the data I've entered. 

Did this error ever get resolved?

I had the same issue and tried uninstalling, reinstalling and everything else suggested to no avail. I can only get 3 out of 5 returns to transfer to 2021 my dual husband and I returns and one other. None of the rest open...just says the same error as last year.

I can't get anything to open and I saved those returns in different places as well.

@Quesnelgirl1 Please contact our phone support team further assistance.