Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment Expenses - Line 22900

I'm trying to add employment expenses using the detailed method. If I use the flat-rate method, the $400 amount shows up on line 22900, but if I go through the steps for the detailed method, it just shows $0.

14 Replies

The form changed this year, requiring additional inputs: "What type of space do you work from at home?" (select Designated or Common); "Area of your workspace"; "Total finished area of your home"; Hours per week in the common space." It is also necessary to enter your employment income in Box 40 of T777. If you fill these in, a portion of in-home expenses should show up in 22900.

Where do I fill in that additional info?

Those fields literally aren't on the form for employment expenses, so how/where would we enter those? 

I was finally able to figure this out on my own. You need to specify which T4 the employment expenses are going to count against (even if you only have 1 T4). In TurboTax, click Income > T-Slips > T4 Employment Income. Then on that page click 'Edit' next to the T4 you want to count the expenses against, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a field that says "Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4? NEW!" - Set that dropdown box to 'Yes'. 

Now the employment expenses you added under the employment expenses section will appear on line 22900. 

I imported my T4 straight from the CRA so I never would have seen this option if I didn't just spend hours combing through everything. 

@jayrhynas Is the issue resolved now?

Does the detailed method work for you?

No even after checking that box it still showed up as 0 on the tax return.

@ashley52 I verified all the points you specified, and all of those were already set correctly to the appropriate values you mentioned.

For example:

1. Under the "Income" -->T-Slips --> "T4 Summary" --> "T4 - Employment Income":

• Enter the information located on your T4 into the appropriate Box Number. 
  • Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4? NEW!
    • Yes

2. Under the "Employment Expenses", selected the "Incurred expenses for the purpose of earning employment income" checkbox.

Then under the "Did you receive a T2200 or T2200S from your employer?"

• T2200 - Declaration of Conditions of Employment
  • T2200S - Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19
  • I didn't receive either form from my employer

I selected: 

3. Under the "Employment Expense Profile"
Select all of the checkboxes that apply to your situation

• Motor Vehicle Expenses
  • Other Employment Expenses
  • Office in Home Expenses

I selected: 

• Office in Home Expenses

Even though I entered the required amounts for the items under "Work-Space-In-The-Home Expenses", it still showed 0.00 for 22900 under the "Detailed Tax Summary".

Other employment expenses

So, I tried changing the options under the "Employment Expenses" to 

• T2200S - Declaration of Conditions of Employment for Working at Home Due to COVID-19

It worked for the flat rate and 400.00 showed up in 22900.

But now, I'm unable to get rid of that flat rate amount of 400.00, even though I changed it back to 

So, it seems to be a bug in the TURBOTAX software, that got introduced when they added the new option to support for "Working at Home Due to COVID-19". 

@jayrhynas It seems to be a bug in the TURBOTAX software, that got introduced when they added the new option to support for "Working at Home Due to COVID-19".

SA51

Yes, I have the same issue - I have work expenses incurred for regular T2200 (non-Covid related) and I can't rid of the error message that says I need to clarify if I am claiming work related expenses due to Covid - even I choose YES or NO.