Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost all inputted data

So I just spent about 3hrs entering data and answering questions.  I bookmarked it to take a break, come back and open Turbo Tax and it is brand new like a clean install.  Even my previous years Turbo Tax file does not show.  What the hell?  I am using the downloaded version. 

10 Replies

Lost all inputted data

When you start TurboTax, the Welcome to TurboTax! page shows the tax returns you're currently working on, or that you've worked on recently.

1. Select Continue your return next to the return you want to open

However, if your tax return isn't appearing on the Welcome to TurboTax! page, complete the following steps to open your tax return:

1. From the TurboTax menu, select Open
  2. The Open window appears and displays the location where TurboTax saved your tax return.
  3. Select the file for your tax return and then select Open

For more information, please see our TurboTax FAQ:

Where in TurboTax CD/Download can I find a tax ret... (intuit.ca)

If you are still unable to locate the file, there are a few possible causes:

1. You're not logged in to your computer using the same account that you used when doing your taxes
  2. Your tax data files were deleted during an upgrade to a new version of Windows
  3. Your tax data files were never saved

For more information on why you can't find your tax data file, please see our TurboTax FAQ:

I'm using TurboTax CD/download edition but can't f... (intuit.ca)

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Lost all inputted data

Thank you for your reply but no to all.  I literally have to uninstall it and reinstall it to get my return back.  Pain in the ass.  When I open the software not there.  Looking where you say, no empty , no files to select.  Neither did any of the following things you listed apply, like process of Upgrading Windows . Whatever.  This is not the first time I have had this issue and I have decided to try a different method next year.  Either Turbo Tax online, or a competitor.  This year once I had my info back I plugged on until the end as I did not want to go through things again.  

Lost all inputted data

Same happened to me and your suggested work around did not produce the files. Even one return I already netfiled has disappeared.

Lost all inputted data

I found my data after all. I had completed these tax returns on the same PC my spouse and I share. I had used her account and not mine when I completed the returns. Just wanted to let everyone know in case this has happened to you too.

Syl 2
Returning Member

Lost all inputted data

I also had a return disappear. One that I had already netfiled. How can I get it back without re-entering everying?

Lost all inputted data

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Syl 2
Returning Member

Lost all inputted data

TurboTax download

Syl 2
Returning Member

Lost all inputted data

Using TurboTax download.

Lost all inputted data

@Syl 2 If you saved your file to an external/networked/cloud drive, please make sure the drive is accessible/plugged in. 

If you have more than one user account on you computer, make sure you are logged into the same one you used to create the return file.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.