Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting portion of my primary residence

Greetings, 

I am renting %40 of my primary residence based on sq footage, could you please let me know how I can enter expenses on TurboTax and how CRA will know I am only renting small portion of my house (%40) so that it will not be considered as a capital gain in that tax year. 

let’s say my property tax is $5k and %40 of it is $2k, but if I enter $2k, CRA does not know that I am only renting small portion of the property… 
your response would be much appreciated. 

3 Replies

The CRA doesn't really care about what percentage of your home is rented out. They only want you to enter the part of your expenses related to the rental portion, and not any personal use expenses. 

My concern is  I only rent %40 of the house sq footage - basically one room. But the issue is there is no way indicating how many percent I am renting - I don’t want to pay capital gain in the future as this is my primary residence and since it is a small sq ft is rented - it is exempted from capital gain. On Turbo tax there is no way of showing the percentage and I don’t want to have problem in the future. In the past my accountant could separate personal and rental expense so it was easier to provide the rental property percentage… 

If its 40% of  the house, then claim 40% of the expenses. Please make sure that you have receipts for everything that you are claiming.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.