Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrell18

Self-employed income on T4a box 48, have to set up industry code.

Hopefully someone can help me here?   My wife did some work for a TV Series here in Alberta, Canada not realizing that they would end up paying her as self employed income (T4a - Box 48).  My understanding that as soon as that happens she has to set up as a self employed business on form T2125, correct?  If so then we also have to set up with an industry code.  She was doing a few costumes and head dresses / hats for them and I've looked through the NAICS database and closest match I see is "512110 - Motion picture and video production US".  I am correct in thinking that costumes and hats would be considered 'production' and that code 512110 is the best code to use?  (was confused by the 'US' at end of description).  Any help would be appreciated.

Darrell.

3 Replies

You just need to pick the closet one to the main industry of the business. Maybe one of these would work better?

711512 - Independent actors, comedians and performers

541490 - Other specialized design services

315250 - Cut and sew apparel manufacturing (except contractors)

darrell18

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Susan, I was focusing more on the Movie / TV aspect and maybe not enough on the clothing side of the job.  In truth I think that "315210 - Cut and sew clothing contracting US" might be the best fit, as the production company has referred to her as a contractor in some of their communications.  I think I will go with this and hope that there are no issues with the CRA.  Thanks.

Darrell

You are welcome.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.