Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student tax credit

Every time I try and go into to file my taxes with a T2202 for the year 2022 tuition, I get an message saying I don't qualify because I have to be between 26-65 but the federal government website says I qualify if I'm 16 and over. I want to write off my tuition on my taxes. How do I do this without that message?

3 Replies

student tax credit

Can you please provide more information about your problem? What is the exact error message that you are getting? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

student tax credit

I've been using turbo tax online for 3 years. Last year I wanted to use my tuition tax credit for the school I attended in August of 2021- May 2022. I have a T2202 for the August to december credit. When I went to use it on turbotax under the student tab, I filled out all the information, the school I attended, the dates and the amount but on the next screen, it said I wasn't eligible because I had to be between 26-65 to use the credit so I transferred the credit to my mom. This year I wanted to use the other half and the same error message came up that I can't use my tuition tax credit. When I went to check the federal government site, it says you can use it as longas your 16. I'm 20 years old. Why am I getting this message and what can I do to fix it? I have a T2202 

student tax credit

Please see our TurboTax FAQ for the steps: How do I claim my tuition fees?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.