Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpbl
Level 2

T1032

My wife and I filed jointly for 2023 using the online version. We opted to pension split and both returns were Netfiled and accepted.  However, my wife's return was selected for review (not an audit). One problem the review team raised was that the T1032 form was not signed so they want it refiled. There are two problems.

1.I don't understand how Turbotax didn't tell us to sign it/ fail to catch it when we didn't.

2. I can find no way to fix the problem within Turbotax. (I can't refile as she has received to notice of assessment.) I downloaded the T1032 from the CRA and tried to fill it out following what Turbotax had created. However, Turbotax has a 0 in line 8. In Step 4. Part A it says don't fill in lines 22-30 if there is a zero in line 8. Thus line 30 has a 0. Then line 33 is supposed to have the amount from line 0. Instead, TT has filled in the elected split amount from line 22. This appears to be an error so I'm stuck. The clock is ticking and the review team wants an answer!

7 Replies

T1032

The forms are automatically counted as signed in the software with your agreement at the end of your return before you Netfile. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mpbl
Level 2

T1032

Yes I did. I spent 40 minutes on line. She first of all looked at my turbo tax folder then I gave her permission to look at my computer screen. When I use the online version of TurboTax, all I am left with is a pdf of our submissions which we netfiled and which were accepted.  It turns out that the pdf of the T1032 for my wife was filled out incorrectly so she turned me over to the Audit team. Talked to them the next day and they agreed it was incorrect but I was able to fill out a new version downloaded from the CRA correctly. While doing so I discovered that our pdf had not filled in lines 37-39. As the calculations involved were done on the "federal worksheet" and that was not available, I had to go through all her T slips manually and was finally able to discover that, though line 39 was empty, TurboTax had filled in the correct amount on line 43700 of her T1 form. I suspect the problems caused by the incorrectly generated T1032 were what caused the CRA to review her whole filing, although there's no way to know for sure. I much prefer the PC version but as I know longer carry my laptop from home to my condo in Arizona, but use a separate machine down south, I would have had to buy two licenses.

T1032

Thank you for your feedback. 

mpbl
Level 2

T1032

Actually, my response is not quite correct. Despite the fact that the T1032 is a joint form, it turns out TT filled out my form and my wife's differently. Lines 37-39 only affect the transferring spouse's taxes, while lines 40-42 affect the receiving spouse. So lines 37-39 were only filled out on her version and 40-42 on mine.  I suppose in a way it makes sense but it is supposed to be a joint form and, from where I sit, it should be filled out the same on both tax returns.

Line 30 was left blank on both which is a clear error. 

T1032

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion. It is correct for the entries to be different between transferrer and transferee. The amount on line 30 is usually from the transferring spouse's Federal Worksheet for line 31400 and included on the transferring spouse's form only. As per the T1032 form: "If the transferring spouse or common-law partner entered an amount on line 8, complete lines 24 to 30. If not, enter the amount from line 22 at line 30." There are many different scenarios as seen in the Joint Election to Split Pension Income. If you still believe there may be an error, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

DRC6
Level 1

T1032

I would like to add to the previous comments. Both mine and my spouse's forms have the correct entry on line 30. However, my spouse's form has lines 40-42 filled in, with lines 37-39 blank. My form has lines 37-39 filled in and lines 40-42 blank. If this is a joint form, why are they not the same? The combined form requires both lines 37-39 and 40-42 to be filled in. If CRA asks for a completed, signed form then I can put one together manually with the information I have but the two different forms that (apparently) TurboTax submits with our returns may cause confusion. Please clarify.

T1032

It is correct to have different lines filled in the form as one of you is transferring a pension amount and the other is receiving. To help you with this please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and they will be able to clarify the way their form is to be filled. You can speak with them by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.