Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The self-employment total revenue should include "GST/HST or PST if applicable". But it then asks for GST/HST only. Where should I indicate the amount of collected QST?

14 Replies

The self-employment total revenue should include "GST/HST or PST if applicable". But it then asks for GST/HST only. Where should I indicate the amount of collected QST?

If it's the question regarding the Quick Method - then that is for GST/HST only. You'll enter the QST you paid on the provincial form.

Thanks Susan. I probably didn't explain it well. Turbotax is asking me (under the self-employment part) what  the total revenue of my business was, including "GST/HST or PST if applicable". This part is ok. After some clicks the system asks if I have collected GST/HST, and it then proceeds to ask for the total GST/HST collected. However, it never asks for the amount of collected QST. I assume that this amount would include PST in general as well since my total revenue has PST included. Is that correct? Turbotax should make it clear that the collected amount also includes/excludes PST.

The Federal T2125 form asks about GST/HST collected because those are Federal sales tax. You'll be asked about QST collected on the TP-80-V which is submitted to Quebec. 

MPS4

I understand that we'd report our provincial sales tax to the province and not federally, but why is TurboxTax counting PST and QST as income? This doesn't make sense to me. If we are including PST or QST in our total revenue, why is there no place for us to deduct it from the federal form? It seems that the direction is wrong and that the total revenue should exclude PST...

Xeyti

I am having the same concern, the replies so far haven’t responded to my question. I have found no place to indicate the amount of QST that I paid last year, but the income that I am asked to input *includes* the QST that I paid. 

@Xeyti @MPS4 The clarifications you are asking for are to be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as our software is created according to their directions and needs. You can contact them by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

Hi @Xeyti , I think this is related to the form T2125, which in line 3A asks for: "Gross sales, commissions or fees (include GST/HST collected or collectible". Then in line 3B it says "GST/HST, provincial sales tax, returns, allowances, discounts, and GST/HST adjustments (included in amount 3A". After this, it takes 3A minus 3B. This makes me think that the amount in 3A must include PST as well. Turbotax fills this cells with the information that you provide in the system. However, I believe T2125 could be more explicit with line 3A, since 3B does indicate PST explicitly.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax expert and this is just a personal opinion, not a professional advice.

Azarpub

Susan under expenses it asks to enter sub hired, cost of purchases, etc.... do these include hst or should I exclude it?

@Azarpub If you are not registered to collect GST/HST then you would include sales tax on your expenses.