Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuji441
Returning Member

Treated as "non-resident" instead of "deemed resident"

How do I get TurboTax to treat me as a Deemed Resident instead of a Non-Resident? This seems to affect my ability to split my pension, claim the Canada Workers Benefit, etc.  Any suggestions?

3 Replies

Did you select "Deemed Resident" when it asked for a province?

fuji441
Returning Member

The only options the program (Premier desktop/downloaded) offered were: the provinces, territories, and "Non-Resident" in the drop-down box (this is in the Easy Step/Introduction/Province of Residence section).  A couple of steps later (under "Contact info") I selected "I was a deemed resident of Canada for other reasons" option under the question "Information about your Residency Status."  There was no option for "Deemed Resident" on the first screen, only "Non-Resident."  This is the status (non-resident) that seems to be used in all subsequent interactions with the program for various benefits/credits as I mentioned in my original post.  Cheers.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.