Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derrickb67
Returning Member

Tuition Carryover

I have tuition credits carried over from 2021.  I also have tuition credits in 2022.  I do not need to use all these tuition credits to reduce tax payable to zero.  The software Turbo Tax will not let me claim only a portion of these credits and carry the remainder over to 2023.  What is the fix for this?

3 Replies

Tuition Carryover

You can't transfer tuition credits which were carried over. You can only transfer tuition which weren't use to bring down your tax to zero. TurboTax calculates this amount for you. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

derrickb67
Returning Member

Tuition Carryover

Hi Brenda, I wasn't asking about transferring credits.  I was asking about using credits carried over.  Turbo Tax does not calculate the correct amount of credits to use to reduce the taxable income to zero.  It uses all the carryforward credits instead.

The program needs a software fix.

Tuition Carryover

The oldest tuition credits will always be used first and the newest unused credits will be added to the carry-forward amounts which the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) will continue to automatically use towards your income as needed in the future years till there is no more carry-forward amount left.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.