Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo Tax is not deducting my RRSP spousal contributions

CRA says: Although you cannot contribute to your RRSP after December of the year you turn 71 years old, you can still contribute to your spouse's or common-law partner's RRSP until the December of the year that they turn 71. For more information, see RRSP options when you turn 71.

I have a deduction limit higher than the spousal contributions made, however TurboTax still shows "0" as my available contributions. How can I force TurboTax to show my contributions available?

8 Replies

Have you made sure that the contribution was entered in the right box?

Hi, yes that is exactly the line I entered the amount into. The RRSP Summary shows the amount that I entered, but the line that shows the amount of the contribution shows 0 and the amount that shows as contributions available to be deducted shows 0.

RRSP Summary.JPG

And the entry screen:

RRSP Entry screen.JPG

Please follow the steps seen in the images below to enter your spousal RRSP and receive the deductions.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Yes, this is how I entered the contribution, with the exception that we file our tax returns separately (our marriage status is "separated" but I was told because we are not divorced, she is officially my spouse and I can contribute to her RRSP) so I only have my own information. Will a marriage status of separated prevent the program from allowing the deduction?

If your marital status is "Separated", then you don't have a spouse, and can't contribute to your former spouse's RRSP, unless you get back together again. 

I changed my marital status to Married, but it is still not allowing the spousal RRSP deduction. Any other ideas?

It's ok; I just had to fill out the screen for my spouse's information, then it used the contribution as a deduction. Thank you for your help.