Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax Fee

I was using a free version but it shows that I scored free upgrade to deluxe.

there was no reject or skip button to this and force upgraded my version to deluxe.

At the end it is charging me $15 for using deluxe version.

I said no to all offers that came up during tax return. KakaoTalk_20240316_163100056.pngcheckout.png

3 Replies

Turbotax Fee

You may have incurred some deductions, credits and income that are not covered by our TurboTax Free Online Software, such as employment expenses, donations, medical expenses, investment income and expenses, rental property income and expenses, self-employed income and expenses. Please follow this link to see what a simple free return includes.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Turbotax Fee

This reply is completely incorrect. Following the steps with a Intuit Turbotax advisor connected to my computer and over the phone, it sent it through to Deluxe every time with no avail. 

TurboTax was sued by the FTC in the US, and is barred from using the word "Free", as they had the same "scam" running in the states. 

To the OP, we do have multiple screenshots, video recordings available that are being sent to the Competition Bureau of Canada, hope we can get to the bottom of it through there. 🙂

You can view my very similar thread here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/troubleshooting/discussion/turbotax-switching-from-fr...

Turbotax Fee

Yes - same thing. Clearly Intuit TurboTax is not trustworthy. Ironic for something as important for filing taxes. The income tax return is as simple as it can get - one T4, zero changes, zero expenses. It's the most dirt simple income tax return. Said "no" to all upgrade options. Yet, somehow, TurboTax claims an upgrade somewhere along the lines is needed and now need to pay $15. If a return with only ONE SINGLE T4 and nothing else (no dependents, single, no investments, no expenses, literally only ONE T4 and all defaults otherwise) - then clearly they don't have a free version as claimed. TurboTax should be ashamed. I will start over again with a trustworthy filing company.