Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbirhane

Turbotax is not allowing me to claim eligible dependant credit

My husband and I do not live together and our children live with me nor do we support each other. I am the main caregiver of my children who are my dependants. Per CRA, I am eligible for this credit, but turbotax does not allow me to claim it unless there's a breakdown in my relationship. How can I claim this credit using turbotax?

7 Replies

TurboTax will not allow you to take the eligible dependant credit if your marital status is married. 

If you have TurboTax CD/Download, you can override Schedule 5 to give yourself the credit, but you will not be able to NETFILE. You can't do any overrides in TurboTax Online.

sbirhane

Ok so how do I claim this amount, since I am entitled to it? I cannot file as separated since I'm not separated. This seems to be IT issue. 

The vast majority of married people are not eligible to to claim the eligible dependant credit. TurboTax doesn't allow it so that people don't accidentally take it. It is a large credit and many people would be upset when the CRA tells them they can't have it, or worse have to pay it back later. 

If you believe you are eligible for the credit despite being married, then you can either use TurboTax CD Download and do the necessary overrides, or if you use TurboTax Online, file without the credit, and then send in a paper T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request. You may also be contacted by the CRA, and asked for proof that you are eligible for the credit.

Sgman

My spouse has an approved T2201 form and Turbotax Online has picked this up already. Then Turbotax Online should be programmed to allow the caregiver section to open up.

The CRA doesn't say despite being married. It says "For your spouse or common-law partner, you may be entitled to claim an amount of ..."

Does Turbotax Online mention that you can't do it?

Thank you for the information. If I hadn't found your post I would have had to pay for extra help to find this out.

@Sgman Are you trying to claim the care-giver credit or the disability tax credit transfer? Because you can't claim your spouse as a dependant, let alone as an eligible dependant.

Sgman

I'm trying to claim the caregiver credit.

This is what Turbotax says:

"TurboTax automatically claims the Canada caregiver credit for your spouse/partner when you indicate that they were dependant on you because of an impairment in mental or physical functions in the Introduction/Setting Up section of your return."

I answered the questions in 

What happened for you (my spouse) in 2023?

"did you have a mental or physical impairment?"

Canada Caregiver Amount: I am dependent on (my name) because of an impairment

I had/have a disability"

Turbotax also says:

"You have an amount on line 30425 if you're eligible for the Canada caregiver amount for your spouse/partner or an eligible dependant 18 years old or older."

I saw an amount for the caregiver credit for me on line 30425 and my spouse's disability amount on line 31600 in the detailed tax summary. I looked later and now the caregiver credit amount is zero.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email, say NO then say "speak to a representative" and hold the line. Ask for an escalation if the issue is not resolved.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.