Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hortense
Returning Member

Using carried forward (moving) expenses from 2018

Hello,

I am trying to use a portion of my moving expenses carried forward from 2018 on this year's taxes (2019). The software keeps directing me to fill out another T1M form. CRA says it's a possible bug. Is there a work around or fix for this?

Thanks for you time.

10 Replies

Are you using TurboTax Basic CD/Download? Did you put the amount directly in the Carry Forwards From 2018 worksheet?

Hortense
Returning Member

I'm using  Turbo Tax Basic. Yes, the amount is in the Carry Forwards From 2018 worksheet.

The problem is I can not actually use any of the carry forward amount. The program wants me to fill out the T1-M. So I get stuck in a loop of trying to use my eligible carry forward amount and the program directing me to fill the T1-M.

If it’s just a warning that you are seeing in the review, you can ignore it. Warnings are just there to make sure that you double check certain things.

You can also just leave it off the Carry Forward sheet if you can’t use the expenses this year. Keep note of the amount for future years, though.

Hortense
Returning Member

Hi,

It is not a warning from review.

I CAN use the expenses THIS year, the program does not let me. It keeps telling me to fill another T1M - which CRA specifically told me NOT to do.

For clarification. I wish to use a portion of my moving expense claim (carried forward) from 2018. How can I do this without filling another T1M?

Hortense
Returning Member

Bumping post and hoping for an answer.

SHABIBA61

I AM FACING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH CARRY FORWARD MOVING EXPENSES FROM 2018. I SHALL HIGHLY APPRECIATE FOR A SOLUTION TO THIS MATTER

SHABIBA61

This is not the solution I am looking for. Suggesting to carry forward again is not the answer . I want to utilize my credits this year i.e. 2019 carried over from 2018. As an expert you should give us a solution otherwise what is the use of using the software.

Hortense
Returning Member

Shabiba61,

I gave up and just requested a refund.  Here's the link:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-get-a-refund-f...

Good luck!

I am having the same problem. The only fix is to override the field, however, this causes you to not be able to use netfile. Is Turbotax working on this problem?