Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I am being charged twice for using Turbotax Deluxe?

Hi everyone,

I bought Turbotax deluxe in Costco recently. I activated it but when I started my return, it requires me to pay $42 to file taxes for both me and my spouse. 

Last year I bought a Standard version (software) and I didn't have to pay anything else to file for both me and my spouse. But standard version wasn't on the shelves this year, so I bought Deluxe. Nowhere does it say that you can't file together with this version. In fact, on the box, it shows comparison between Online Deluxe version and Standard CD and Deluxe is portrayed as is it has all the features of the Standard CD version + more. 

I don't get why I have to pay again for the product that I paid for already

Thanks!
Screenshot 2024-02-22 170053.png

7 Replies

If you have bought TurboTax Online, you need to go to turbotax.ca/activate to use your code before you start your returns. You can see this TurboTax FAQ for step-by-step instructions: In TurboTax Online, how do I use a prepayment code? Please note that you can only use the code once in one account. Using the code again will give an error message.

Thanks for the response but I thought that it's a given. Obviously, I activated turbotax deluxe but it still asks me to pay for the returns.

As you can see, it shows that I have turbotax deluxe with 8 returns included

Screenshot 2024-02-22 210239.png

Then I start my return and it asks me to upload my previous year's return, which I did, then the software asks me to pay for the returns:
Screenshot 2024-02-22 210746.png

That is the price for our software if you buy a return at a time. It shows you have the 8 returns, as you go on doing  your return, you should not be charged. If you get to a page where it asks you to pay- please send us that screenshot so that we then investigate.

Thank  you for choosing TurboTax.

I just bought turbo tax deluxe online edition at Walmart includes returns for 8 people why should I pay again to file a tax return for my wife and I. Does that not count for two returns. I feel like I am being ripped off

Yes, you can complete 8 returns. Once you are in the payment page just before you file, please enter your code in there and follow the steps from there to continue and file your return for free (as you already purchased it). 

1- Make sure you went to turbotax.ca/activate  - if you did this step and got the message "Something went wrong" then follow the steps above by starting  your return  using the proper link,

2- You may need to repeat this for each of your returns (entering the code in the payment page). 

Thank  you for choosing TurboTax.

Bondique

If still prompted to add card (if you have completed everything BEFORE adding the code), press "Back" and it will update your info.

It is just advising on how much it costs. Did you get to the payment page and it is asking for a payment? If yes, did you enter your code under coupon code?