Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't Open Saved Files on NEW PC

I just got a new PC and installed TurboTax Premier.  I saved last year's completed returns and this year's incomplete returns and "saved as..." to a flash drive.  I copied those .tt files into the TurboTax folder on the new PC.  

When I open Turbo Tax on my new PC, the files are there...  Gives me the option to Continue and Transfer data from last year...  The links and prompts are there too.  So I know I saved and put the files in the correct location, but everytime I click transfer or continue any of the files created on my old PC, the Turbo Tax software shuts down.

If I Start NEW return, I have no issues, works like it's supposed to, but I do about 9 returns a year for family and friends and I don't want to start from scratch for every one of them.  Why does the software shut down every time I ask to Continue or Transfer any of the files created on old PC?

Any help is appreciated!

Steven

3 Replies

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. It will not delete your saved returns.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 for more help.

Hi,

Thank you for the response... yes, I have tried to delete and re-instal the software, but everything I select to Continue or Transfer an existing return created and saved on my previous pc, the new software selects the file, then takes me to the "easy step" or "forms" screen, and when I select "NEXT", it shuts down.

Any other suggestions?  I would appreciate it!

@superstevec Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

If you can't phone in, you can message us on social media.

We are on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/TurboTaxCanada

We are on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/messages/19496097-385034351