Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dinodaan

Work From Home Detailed Method 2023 tax year

Not sure if this is relevant, but my employer is not a GST/HST registrant so I can't claim those expenses.

When filling out the Work-Space-In-The-Home-Expenses, you have to enter Expenses which you incurred for the entire home or the office space.
When selecting electricty for example, on the right side, there are 3 options: GST taxable / HST taxable / Zero Rated or Exempt.

I want to claim electricy/water/heat & rent. Which of these 3 fields should I fill out?

14 Replies

You will enter the one you paid for yourself. If your bill had GST included in the amount paid, you choose that one or HST, etc. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Andrea48

When I enter my rent, do I enter it under other - Rent 

then the dollar amount under Zero Rated and Exempt?

Also can I claim my phone bill?

Yes, your rent is exempt if it is for a long-term residential unit.

If your employer requires you to pay for phone expenses, you may be able to claim those expenses.

Do we enter the total rent and total of a service bill in the field, or the percentage calculation of worked time etc.? In other words, as we’ve entered in our number of work hours and the number of rooms, does TurboTax have the calculation built in already?

@Vanillabn Under "Expenses which you incurred for the entire home" you would put the total amount for the full home. TurboTax will do the rest of the calculations.

Ok, thanks! I had done the percentage calculation from my total rent, and when reviewing at the end, I thought ‘waaaaait a minute!’ That should make a difference to include the full annual rent.

As I read further, my expenses are to go on line 22900, using the T777 to calculate them, as my employer provided the t2200. Do you know where that line is in TurboTax?

@Vanillabn 

You can see line 22900 on your detailed tax summary.

To see a detailed summary of your return using TurboTax Online, click the first arrow below your estimated refund amount in the side panel, then select the option for View detailed tax summary. The Detailed Summary page will appear, giving you line-by-line information regarding your income and credits.

Where to enter time percentage for work from home 2023 in Turbotax desktop version?