Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently started doing random transcription jobs through Rev.com. I totally forgot about taxes! The T2125? It's paid in USD. Also does freelance effect tax credits?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recently started doing random transcription jobs through Rev.com. I totally forgot about taxes! The T2125? It's paid in USD. Also does freelance effect tax credits?

You are required to report "all income" you receive in the year, regardless of where it comes from, and the CRA requires any income over the amount of $3,500.00 to be reported as Self-Employment income. (This income needs to be reported in Canadian dollars). And, of course, any time you add more income, your benefits are going to be affected.

Although your income may not exceed that threshold, the upside to you filing on the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities, is you can claim any expenses you may have incurred and possibly reduce that taxable income. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/small-business-tax-tips-filing-a-t2125-4119

Otherwise you can claim as "Other income not reported on a slip", but the gross amount will be added to your income, therefore you will pay tax on that full amount and also see the decrease in your benefits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Also... I have a full time day job where I make about $30,000 a year... bit less maybe. I  think I could make $200 a month with Rev in my "free time" (single mom lol). But say I made $2400 this year, I found out that cuts my child tax credit & energy credit down by $50 so I'd be doing up to 4 jobs free a month as my income would only increase by $150... PLUS again lose money on my return.

I'm thinking it's not really worth it.... Does this make sense or am I understanding wrong? I used CTB calculator to figure it out.

You are required to report "all income" you receive in the year, regardless of where it comes from, and the CRA requires any income over the amount of $3,500.00 to be reported as Self-Employment income. (This income needs to be reported in Canadian dollars). And, of course, any time you add more income, your benefits are going to be affected.

Although your income may not exceed that threshold, the upside to you filing on the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities, is you can claim any expenses you may have incurred and possibly reduce that taxable income. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/small-business-tax-tips-filing-a-t2125-4119

Otherwise you can claim as "Other income not reported on a slip", but the gross amount will be added to your income, therefore you will pay tax on that full amount and also see the decrease in your benefits.