Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I override the allowable medical expenses amount for the TP1? Certain expenses are deductible at the federal level but not in Quebec.

10 Replies

Can I override the allowable medical expenses amount for the TP1? Certain expenses are deductible at the federal level but not in Quebec.

Which expenses exactly do you mean? There may be an easier way.

Naturopath expenses

If your home province is Quebec, fees paid for Naturopath services are not deductible at either the federal or provincial level. 

Looking at the chart on CRA, if the expense doesn't qualify for a certain province, it's not deductible. For example, Naturopath services are not deductible in Newfoundland either. This means that Newfoundlanders cannot deduct these expenses on their federal return or their provincial return.

Here's the link to the CRA chart: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Sorry, I made a mistake. It was the reverse. You are correct, naturopath fees are not deductible for Quebec at the federal level, however they are deductible in the TP1. This brings me back to my original issue. I would need to override the federal amount of allowable expenses or override the Quebec amount to be higher, either way that number is not equal in both returns. Is there a way to do this?

No problem 🙂 There is a way to do this for the expenses that are only allowed in QC that doesn't involve an override. 1. Keep the expense out of your medical claim and file your Federal return. 2. Go back to your return and enter the expense and then file your QC return.  The other option is to leave it out and file an adjustment to your QC return once it has been processed. Our software team is aware of the issue and is working at finding a solution but until then, those are your options. Thanks!

This is on-going issue -- Never get fixed... I have contacted your help line for several years... No one seem to understand

Good Day Jennifer,

Please pass this on to programmers.

Naturopathic expenses are NOT deductible for CRA but are an ALLOWABLE deduction in QUEBEC as well as

the other province mentioned in this post.

I too have requested this to be adjusted.  In the past, we were able to override this entry in the CRA part.

When will TURBOTAX make this adjustment.

It doesn't make sense for us to netfile to Cra, save a file for CRA then add to the entry on the medical expense sheet, netfile the provincial and then save a provincial file.

@lLuanaPennesi Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

I’m using the premier software as a download on my desktop