Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There isn't a 'single' option under marital status

14 Replies

Did you transfer your return from a prior year, and were something other than single last year? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3464058

So, I'm single and I just bought a brand new copy of turbotax for 2019. Exactly HOW am I supposed to create a tax file if there's no 'single' option under marital status and I've never used turbo tax before? Nothing like dis-respecting ALL the single adults out there! Time to switch to a better tax software program!

Which version of TurboTax are you using? In TurboTax Online, it’s the first option on the Marital Status page. In TurboTax CD/Download, in EasyStep mode it’s the last option on the page, while in Forms mode, it’s the last option on the drop down.

My software does not have single as an option as in your diagram at bottom for download.

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download- You will need to click on Easy Steps and then enter your marital status as "Single" and complete the page then click on next and go back to Forms. 

If you are using TurboTax Online and have forwarded your information from 2018 into your 2019 return and have changed your marital status - "Single" would not be an option if the year previous you had a different marital status.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/why-won-t-turbotax-let-me-ch...

I agree with you. This still hasn't been fixed, but now they have a convoluted work-around...certainly not what I paid for..wonder what else doesn't work this year, if selecting something as simple as marital status can't be accomplished in the basic version via forms.

Here is why you may not see the marital status choice as "SINGLE" on your return.

Why?  Nothing on the link...still no answer?

In order to help you further, please PM me and upload a screenshot of the page where the "single" choice is not available.