Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cwi

Claiming for dependent parent

Hi all, I have confusions on claiming my elderly mom as my dependent, any help is appreciated. My mom is over 80, living with me in my house, I take care of all expenses. CRA had approved the disability transfer form. I’m doing taxes for the year of 2017 with online Turbotax version. I recorded her name and dob as my dependent. Then when I got to the claim part, got confused. Her net income is 14500. There are 3 options I put check box on: 1) family caretaker, 2) disability transfer, 3) eligible dependent. I must say I have no idea if I’m eligible to claim all but I thought the system will ask me for her income and will automatically determine eligibility. But it didn’t. It asks for 3 amounts, amounts “disability support deductions claim for her by anyone”, “deduction from net income line 257 of their tax return” and “her provincial personal amounts Form 428”. I have no idea what to put in these lines and NONE of it asks me for her net income so how on earth does it calculate my return?? And it gave me a HUGE return and I don’t even think it should be anywhere close to this amount. 

I want to do this right and not having CRA to come after me later for money back. If anyone can shed some lights, it’s greatly  appreciated. I need to know if there’s anything I missed and why doesn’t ask for her net income because if it does, I won’t be eligible for dependent credit since her income is above the allowable $11k limit. Thanks in advance.

1 Reply

Claiming for dependent parent

To enter your mother’s net income in TurboTax Online 2017, click on the Deductions tab on the top, then click on Additional Dependant Information. You can get information such as Net Income (T1, line 236), Deductions from Net Income (T1, line 257), Non-refundable tax credits (Schedule 1, sum of lines 3 to 19) and Provincial Personal Amounts (Form 428 from lines 5812 to 5840) from your mother’s tax return. If her return for 2017 was done in TurboTax Online, you can get most of this info by clicking the Review tab, then Bottom Line, then click on the Detailed Tax Summary link in the middle of the page. You can also get this info, as well as the provincial amounts by saving the pdf of her tax return. This FAQ shows you how to get the pdf, but you’ll need to click the link under the 1st screenshot for instructions for 2017: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-return-print-save/help/in-the-online-edition-of-t...

Please note that you can’t claim the eligible dependant credit for your mother if either of you are married or have a common law partner. If you need to remove this credit, this FAQ shows you how: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/family-education/help/how-do-i-add-or-remove-the-elig...