Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunshine4

Donation Optimization? How do we make the optimizer work, or override, if there's a glitch?

both my spouse and I have donations.  for some reason, the system is putting all on the lower income spouse.  when we try the optimizer, it confirms that it should go to the higher income spouse.  we select optimizer.  but then it resets back to allocating the donations to the lower income spouse.  how do we get the optimizer to work properly, or over ride, if there is a glitch?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MamaK

Donation Optimization? How do we make the optimizer work, or override, if there's a glitch?

Just today I had exact same problem with someone's taxes. Since your version says windows, I assume you purchased a disk.  If you go to Form called DONATIONS there are check boxes at the top of form. Choose who you wish to claim them.  In previous years when the optimizer specified a certain person, it used to automatically go there. I tried to change during review process and it did not work this year, but it will on the Form Donations.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MamaK

Just today I had exact same problem with someone's taxes. Since your version says windows, I assume you purchased a disk.  If you go to Form called DONATIONS there are check boxes at the top of form. Choose who you wish to claim them.  In previous years when the optimizer specified a certain person, it used to automatically go there. I tried to change during review process and it did not work this year, but it will on the Form Donations.

sunshine4

This worked!  Thank you so much.  your assistance is greatly appreciated.
lisbet

i changed who was claiming donations and the refunds/amounts due stayed the same..   try to reduce amount due .. GRRRRR help
MamaK

Go to the Forms Method (get out of easy step interview).  At bottom of screen you should see your name & wife's name. Click into forms on either one and select Donations.  At the top of form you will see check boxes check off the name you wish to claim the donations.  From what I have seen on this forum over many weeks, people are finding on-line version not very user friendly.  I buy disk all the time and use forms method. You can see the 4 pages of your tax return and double click on any green field and it brings it to the entry position.  You can also search for a specific form at top menu bar - there is an icon called forms.  Under top bar Tools icon you will find all the optimizers. Good luck and have a great weekend. Warm & SUNNY in Alberta!!

sunshine4

Thank you!

I wouldn't put all my faith in the optimizer.  It may think it is correct but it may not have all of the details.  You should look at the effects of where the donations are entered.  You may want them on your return, but if you are already getting a refund, it will move them to where it will do the most good. Since donations are a non-refundable tax credit, it is necessary to pay some tax before you see a benefit.  It may be that you will have to enter the donations again, specifically on one form or the other, but I am thinking that it is the optimizer that is wrong, not the software.