Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scofenn
Returning Member

Date on medical expenses does not work

Im trying to claim past medical expenses but the date will not change?
20 Replies

You can claim any eligible medical expenses if they occurred in a 12-month period that ends in the current tax year. After you enter your medical expenses, TurboTax will prompt you to choose your 12-month claim period. Be sure that you are working on this period.

For example, the oldest medical expense that you can claim on your 2022 return is an expense from January 2, 2022, using a claim period of January 2, 2022, to January 1, 2023.

If you have a large amount of expenses in the latter part of the tax year, it might be better to save them and claim them with medical expenses you have in the early part of the following tax year. For example, if most of your medical expenses occurred after May 15, 2022, you can save them for your 2022 tax return. At that time, you can use a 12-month period of May 15, 2022 to May 14, 2023, and claim all expenses that fall within that period.

You can use a different 12-month period each year--the period doesn’t have to start where your previous 12-month period ended. However, you can't claim the same expenses more than once.

Thank for choosing TurboTax.

scofenn
Returning Member

I asks you to select a date for the medical expenses  but when you click the date and then next and the  date changes back to 2022 so now CRA thinks you are using medical expenses for 2022? 

@scofenn If you are preparing a return for 2022, then your claim period must end in 2022. For example, if all the expenses you are claiming are from 2021, then you would enter a period of Jan 2 2021 to Jan 1 2022.

scofenn
Returning Member

I know how medical expenses work.  I want CRA to know that my medical expense date ends Jan.30.2022 but when I select that date it changes by itself to Jan to Dec. 2022.  ??// 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

tyavorska
Returning Member

Were you able to have this resolved? Having a similar issue and I just spent an hour on the phone with support and they weren't able to help. 

Did you enter any receipts from 2021 or did you check off that you only had receipts from 2022?

Robert190
Returning Member

I too am having an issue with Turbo Tax not accepting my chosen claim period. I've plugged in 13/04/2021 to 12/04/2022, which follows the guidelines and has worked in the past, but not this year. Both boxes have been ticked as far as 2022 receipts and unused 2021 receipts being submitted. Talking to support they said they too got an error message with any start date not 2022, so they suggested I use the dates I found did work, 01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022. Not comfortable with this as it's not accurate, and will mess me up in following years. I have to go into town today anyway so I guess I'll add paper return to my shopping list, yikes!

I too am experiencing this problem, can't seem to claim past medical expenses, the claim period doesn't seem to actually be aggregating the medical expenses into a single 12 month claim period, behind the scenes it's as if the claim period is stuck in 2023 exclusively.