Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woulahan

When i enter medical expenses on free turbo tax it does not work

I completed my tax return & then added medical expenses but it does not reflect on my refund even though the amounts at within the amount allowed to claim

7 Replies

If your medical expenses total more than 3% of your net income, you should see the amount over 3% listed on your tax summary. If there is no entry for medical expenses, check the medical expenses section to ensure the proper date range has been entered.

Your medical expenses must total more than 3% of your net income (or $2,268 whichever is less).

kerbare10

This is happening to me!

I am almost 1000$ over my 3% amount and it is not showing ANY refund coming to me?

If I add a 'fake' receipt that puts the amount over my husbands minimum (which is higher than mine) it works and says the optimizer says to use him to get the best refund?
I make way less, this doesn't make sense? 

WHAT AM I MISSING?!

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

To be able to optimize your medical expenses, enter your medical receipts and click on "Done with medical expenses".

On the next page, choose the taxpayer and the claim period:

To be able to claim medical expenses you need to fulfill the following conditions:

1- Total medical expenses are greater than 3% of your net income or $2397 (whichever is lesser)

2- You have a taxable income. If your other non-refundable tax credits (other than medical) reduce your tax liability to zero, You will not benefit from the medical expenses and the software will not apply them.

I hope this was helpful

itsdon

It still doesn't work for me for TY 2022.

I have income in 2022.

I have medical expenses in 2022 that reach the % threshold.

I want to carry forward some of those expenses to TY 2023, so I only want to claim the first 2 months of 2022. I try entering a claim date range of 01/03/2021 to 28/02/2022 but the expenses are not applied to my return.

The only date range that I can enter that will apply the expenses to my return is 01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022. Every other 12-month date range that ends in 2022 does not work.

@itsdon Did you check off the option to enter unused receipts from 2021? Because if not, TurboTax assumes you only have receipts from 2022 and won't let you pick a date range other than the 2022 calendar year. 

I am having the exact same issue. A few days ago it was showing a return for me, but today when I continued with my taxes, it no longer shows up

@kristina12 Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.