Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jihd

Can I claim disability tax credit transferred from child over 18 living at different address as well as Canada caregiver amount for same dependant?

Line 307 on Schedule 1
healthymac
Returning Member

Can I claim disability tax credit transferred from child over 18 living at different address as well as Canada caregiver amount for same dependant?

I am trying to claim the transfer of the disability credit (we have all the necessary forms completed and accepted by CRA) and was successful on my return but it would not claim the full amount of $8416 but only $5724.96. Why would this be? I have also claimed the Canada Caregiver amount...does this affect it in some way?

Also my brother does not need the deduction because he has no taxable income but it still wants to make it a deduction on his 2019 income tax. There is nowhere on the online version to transfer the full amount to me...is that necessary? I checked the box off that asked of he was eligible for the deduction because I felt that was necessary in order for me to transfer the deduction on my return. Should I have not checked that box?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

No. do not uncheck the box. he has to file as disabled. The disability amount transferred from a dependant will be reduced by the amount the dependant needs to claim on his/her return.

If the dependant is a child, then the amount will be further reduced by the child care expenses claimed for this child.

If you want your brother to transfer the disability amount to you, you have to be the named transferee in CRA to be able to claim it otherwise the claim will be denied. 

You have to file his return first and claim the amount in his return, the software will use the portion needed to bring his tax to zero. If he doesn't need any, then he will not use it despite the fact that you might see it in the tax summary.

Then you file your return with the required information from his return as shown in the screenshot:

Here is the link on how to claim the amount in TurboTax:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/claims-deductions-donations/help/how-do-i-claim-the-d...

I hope this was helpful