Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terryam

I am not eligible for the northern residents deduction. how can i delete this amount from line 255?

10 Replies

I am not eligible for the northern residents deduction. how can i delete this amount from line 255?

When using TurboTax Free, click on Find in the top right-hand corner, type in Northern residents deduction, select it and click Go.  Select that you qualify and then you will need to manually delete any entries on the form.  This will remove the amount from line 255 on your income tax return.

I ran into this problem last year as well. I have never claimed a Northern Residents deduction, but can't get rid of it. I tried clicking "qualifies". There are no figures to manually remove. How do I get rid of this? Sigh. 

Turbotax Delux 2021 puts in a $4992 deduction for Northern Resident deduction in the deduction summary page even though I am clearly not eligible living in Nanaimo, and I have not indicated that I am. I cannot find any way of changing that. The method proposed by the Admin person does not work. Until I can get this corrected I cannot submit my tax return.

The Admin's workaround didn't work for me either. When I look at all the possible entries for the Northern Resident deduction, I see every one of them is empty. I've done nothing to trigger that deduction but can't get rid of it, and to ask for help triggers quite a hefty price increase. This is a software issue, not our issue. And it is not new. Others have complained about it in past years.

I also checked and double checked that I had made no mistake. The Northern Resident deduction seems to come out of nowhere since it doesn't correspond to anything that I can find.

I've tried every way I can think of to get rid of it - to no avail. I suspect we aren't the only ones whose tax filing is being delayed because of this glitch.

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Maureen15
Returning Member

This is so frustrating!!

Maureen15
Returning Member

I called the number and they just texted me a link to this post... Which doesn't work.