Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: 'You are a resident of ON & claiming child care expense deduction. Review your eligibility for the CARE tax credit.' Is something entered wrong? How do I review?

5 Replies

Warning: 'You are a resident of ON & claiming child care expense deduction. Review your eligibility for the CARE tax credit.' Is something entered wrong? How do I review?

If you are claiming child care expenses on your tax return and you are an Ontario resident, then you will go to the "Deductions" tab - "Child Care Expenses"  to edit or enter the information required to claim this credit.

For more information on the "Ontario Child Care Tax Credit", please review this link

I am a CPA and have used Turbo Tax to keep my family taxes off my firms server.  Our family income exceeds $150K and I was surprised that the program gave us the full credit. I had to over ride the credit to nil.  Very disappointed in the program as this is a basic test and we should not have to check to confirm we qualify for this type of subsidy.  

spb_rec
Returning Member

Hello - is the family income mentioned is total income of family or the net income(after deductions)

Your net income is used to calculate federal and provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credits.

The CRA also uses your net income, and your spouse's or common-law partner's net income if you are married or living common-law, to calculate amounts such as the Canada child benefit, GST/HST credit, social benefits repayment, and certain other credits.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

spb_rec
Returning Member

hello,

My family net income is less than 150k. I added Childcare expenses in the deductions tab. 

I could see the childcare expense deductions on the Federal "Child and disability supports deductions".

But, I don't see any deductions or credits on the Provincial Tax summary .

Ontario childcare access and relief from expenses (CARE) tax credit --> this doesnot show any amount .

Is this a bug on the TurboTax ?? Let me know if I should resubmit the returns to claim this credit ??