Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Columbia renter's tax credit says value is zero

@aronda Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Ellen123

Hi there,  Anyone encountered an error code #960576 relating to line 60575 and 60576.  I am not sure how to correct these errors?  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

@Ellen123 If you are preparing your return with your spouse/common-law partner and have one spouse with zero income, please file that return first.

Emma123
Returning Member

Hello,

I have the same problem with the error code #960576.  I filed spouse return zero income successfully, however when I did mine it shows the following notes:

Code #960576 there are entries on lines 60575 and/or 60576 on the Form BC479 for the BC Renters tax credit and one of the following situation applies to your return please verify and make necessary corrections:

1. Please provide the following information about your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable

a. their net income, if net income is zero or negative, indicate this on your return as instructed by your software - (My note: It defaults to 0.00 when I ticked X Yes spouse net income zero)

b. the universal child care benefit (UCCB) included in their income - (I am not sure why UCCB mentioned as it was no longer applicable since 2016?)

c. the amount of uccb repayment line 21300 used in calculating their net income - (my same comments above?)

d. their registered disability savings plan (rdsp) income on line 12500 - ( I have no idea what this is?)

e. the amount of their rdsp repayment on line 23200- (my same comments above?)

2. you have an entry on line 60576, you must also provide an entry on line 60575 

3. line 60575 cannot be less than "6" - (my return shows "12" which is 12 months)

4. line 60576 cannot exceed the maximum allowable of $400 - (my return defaults to "400" by the system)

My apology for the long notes from the Turbo system.  Hope you can shed some lights here.

Many thanks,

@Emma123 

You can try saying that the low income spouse does have income and put in $1 for their net income.

If that doesn't work, you can just file without the credit, and then after you get your notice of assessment, you can ReFile your return to add it.

Emma123
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply.

I already net-filed my spouse return with zero income so I can't refile with $1 income.  If I were to revise my spouse return for $1 where would I enter the $1 without forcing the entry?

For my return, can I remove all info relating to BC479, save it and then re-enter in case CRA made some adjustments for BC Renters' credit to the netfile system.  I read somewhere online that they will fix it on March 9?

Thank you.

@Emma123 I don't think it will let you do a Refile for a $1 difference as it won't really change much. 

It's March 10th, so you can try to file your return. 

Emma123
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply.

I will give it another try.  Hope it works this time as I don't want to be locked out.  This would be my 4th time.

Thank you for letting us know and updating us.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Emma123
Returning Member

It works! Just net-filed today March 13, 2024 and it went through:)

Thank you!