Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering foreign income

Do you enter foreign income into line 10400 or under reporting statement of world income *Schedule A" line 6. 

If i report foreign income in line 10400 there will be a refund. If i report  in world income (schedule A) there is tax owning. I am Canadian filing as non resident earning  11,000 from Jan -Jun in Canada and 5000 in Australia Jun -Dec 2019.

3 Replies
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Entering foreign income

If this Foreign income was during the non-resident period, then you report it under the Statement of World Income, not on Line10400. and do not deduct the tax.

If the income was during the resident period then you will include it on Line 10400 and will deduct the taxes associated with it based on the tax treaty with the country. 

If I understand your situation correctly, the foreign income you earned was after you left Canada, so you do not include it in your income. 

I hope this was helpful

Entering foreign income

Thanks for replying, The foreign income is reported for when i am non-resident. If i report this on world income and not foreign income i have a tax owing of over  $1000. This i do not understand as my pay is low 11K in Canada and 5K in Australia.  I have no other investments or RRSP or tax owning form previous years. 

Also the Turbo tax standard says in Statement of world  income section that you only complete this section if you were non resident for all of 2019.Thanks 

Entering foreign income

Following  up on this  i find the refundable tax credits almost doubles when entering my net world income and the refund now goes to tax owing . My income is very low and still it tells me i owe $1000 .Not understanding this at all. Tax was paid at source in both countries.