Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am filing taxes for the first time. I was unable to set up direct debit with CRA online. I called them and they said I have to file on paper. What are my options?

Is there a way to fill out the tax return online and print it to send it by mail or is there a vay to bypass the direct debit until next return step? I would like to file online if it is not a must that first time filers have to fike on paper. Thank you.

3 Replies

I am filing taxes for the first time. I was unable to set up direct debit with CRA online. I called them and they said I have to file on paper. What are my options?

Yes, if you are filing your income tax return for the first time, you will need to print out your income tax return and mail it to the Canada Revenue Agency.  You can fill out the direct deposit form which you can print from the Canada Revenue Agency website and mail it with your income tax return.

Is this the only way to file for the first time users?

Or can i netfile as well and get the refund by cheque to my address?

As a first-time filer, the Canada Revenue Agency requires a paper return to enable them to create your file. Without this file in their system, the availability to input your information, calculate or assess your return is non-existent. This is also true when it comes to needing a file to include your address and direct deposit information. Once your paper return is included in the system this year, you will then be able to NETFILE into your CRA file and make changes as needed in the coming future years.

Thank you for your patience.