Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TaxMeg
Returning Member

Medical Travel Expenses

I had 40 medical appointments in 2022 in Ontario that required over 80km travel (one way). These appointments would also include parking fees and meal expenses. It would appear that I will have to figure out the expense to claim for each individual appointment and submit them independently of one another. Is this true? 

For example, an appointment on January 1, 2022 was 200km of travel (at $0.68/km) plus parking ($4.00) plus 1 meal ($17/meal) = $157.00. I would submit that as one medical expense and then move on to the next one and so on.

Is there a better, easier way to do this? Can I calculate this for the entire 12 month period and submit only one claim for this? It's unfortunate there is no option to choose 'Medical Travel' rather than just 'Other' when submitting these claims.

3 Replies

Medical Travel Expenses

To claim transportation and travel expenses, all of the following conditions must be met:

• Substantially equivalent medical services were not available near your home.
  • You took a reasonably direct travelling route.
  • It is reasonable, under the circumstances, for you to have travelled to that place to get those medical services.

If a medical practitioner certifies in writing that you were not able to travel alone to get medical services, you can also claim the transportation and travel expenses of an attendant.

If these conditions have been met- you must make sure that you have all receipts which you will be able to supply to the CRA when asked, so that they can verify the amount you have entered as medical expenses. 

If you are using TurboTax Online- You can enter all of your travel expenses under "Other" -  Then under "who was the payment made to" Enter "Medical Travel Expenses" . 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

TaxMeg
Returning Member

Medical Travel Expenses

Thank you for taking the time to respond Brenda! 

Do you know if I can enter the entire 12-month's worth of medical expenses together or separate them out based on each individual appointment? 

Medical Travel Expenses

Yes you can group same expenses together and keep a list to show the Canada Revenue Agency should they require it in the future.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.