Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse and I earn employment income (T4), I also earn self employment income (side hustle), can we file a joint return?

We have always filed a joint return in the past, except this is the first year I will be claiming self employment income as well. Can we still file a joint return given that I would also like to claim my self employment income?

Also, which TurboTax version should we use? I guess I would technically require the business version, but my spouse only requires the personal version.

Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse and I earn employment income (T4), I also earn self employment income (side hustle), can we file a joint return?

Yes, you can still file a joint return, which is always beneficial for calculating credits and deductions. As you would benefit from using our self-employed/business software and filing a joint return, both tax returns will be of the self-employed version and you'll be charged the price of 2 SE returns: Self-Employed software.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, you can still file a joint return, which is always beneficial for calculating credits and deductions. As you would benefit from using our self-employed/business software and filing a joint return, both tax returns will be of the self-employed version and you'll be charged the price of 2 SE returns: Self-Employed software.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Yan33

Last year, I filed a joint return with my spouse who is self-employed.   I was surprised that we were both billed the higher cost of returns for self-employed individuals.  If I am a salaried employee why do I need to pay the tax filing fees for someone who is self-employed?

@Yan33  When you prepare your return together with a spouse in any version TurboTax, you are both using the same version of TurboTax, so you will pay the same amount for both returns.

If you want to use different versions of TurboTax Online for each spouse, then you can prepare the returns separately.