Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlank
Returning Member

Turbo Tax scammed me

I created an account, entered my visa information (like you are required to) and drafted a tax return.  I pressed netfile & Turbotax told me there were issues with my form.  I decided I needed more help and got someone to help me draft an accurate filing.

I then received a receipt from Turbo-Tax for $21.00 to file my taxes with them. 

I did not file my taxes through turbotax.  They charged me $21.00 for nothing.  I thought it was a mistake and called to request a refund, the guy on the phone was very nice but told me that because I didn't ask them for Turbo-tax support when I ran into issues, that I couldn't get refunded.

This is really scammy and felt gross.

6 Replies

Turbo Tax scammed me

Please note that you do not get charged for filing your return, the charge is for the TurboTax software. As you previously said that you entered your credit card information for that purchase.  

Who did you contact from TurboTax?

mlank
Returning Member

Turbo Tax scammed me

Hi, thank you for responding and for that information.  I called the help number at [phone number removed]. Again, the guy I spoke to did his job extremely well.  But he said that there was no one he could put me through to and my only option was to come here and complain through the website.

If I understand you correctly, that what I paid for was the software, does that mean if I choose to file through Turbo Tax next year I won't have to pay anything to file? I was under the impression that what we were paying for was the filing, which I didn't do through turbo tax.  

Turbo Tax scammed me

Every year the software changes as do the tax benefits and credits. Therefore you would need to purchase the appropriate software that you would need for the specific year. I hope this helps.

There are times people have restrictions and can't NetFile- in that case they would print to mail their return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

mlank
Returning Member

Turbo Tax scammed me

That is really sketchy business practices 🙂

Turbo Tax scammed me

Regardless of which tax software you use- You must use the tax software for the year you are filing.  🙂

mlank
Returning Member

Turbo Tax scammed me

Yes, that makes sense - but I did not file through Turbo Tax, so why did I pay 🙂