Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_f1

When I tried to file my daughter's first return with NETFILE I got a message saying that this is NOT her first return. Cant continue. How can I correct this?

3 Replies

When I tried to file my daughter's first return with NETFILE I got a message saying that this is NOT her first return. Cant continue. How can I correct this?

If this is not her first year filing a return- then it is possible that you made a mistake and said that it was her first time complete a tax return through CRA. You will need to go to "My Info" then to (Name)personal information - Scroll down to "Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time?"  and make sure you click on "NO". 

chris_f1

Thanks for your reply, but I am absolutely sure this is the first time my daughter is filing.   Could I be getting this message because she collected money from the Canada student benefit program this year?

No, that would not be the reason for getting this message.

If this is her first year filing a return- then it is possible that you made a mistake and answered that this was not her first time complete a tax return through CRA. You will need to go to "My Info" then to (Name)personal information - Scroll down to "Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time?"  and make sure you click on "YES". 

If "YES" was already chosen, If this is not her first year filing a return- then it is possible that you made a mistake and said that it was her first time complete a tax return through CRA. You will need to go to "My Info" then to (Name)personal information - Scroll down to "Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time?"  and make sure you click on "NO". 

If you had put "NO" then please contact CRA to see what the issue may be.