Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I give feedback on the TurboTax system. I experienced a major failure of the system that has significant impacts on our lives this summer.

I usually prepare my tax return on hard copy and do not have issues, but there is a longer wait for assessment. I chose to use TurboTax because I had missed the deadline for submissions but receipt of my NOA was time sensitive. When I first started to fill out the return online, I was simply curious to see how it worked and put inrough numbers regarding expenses etc. Once it looked like TurboTAx online  was a feasible way to file my taxes, I attempted to backtrack and start over. However, I was unable to locate the place where I had entered the original numbers, and these numbers were saved. I knew I had entered these numbers erronously under "other employment expenses" instead of the business and professional expenses, but could NOT locate these.  I assumed they were not there when I submitted my return electronically, and then once the 43 page document was available, I saw the huge error. 

As a result of this error, which I knew was there but could not fix, I have had to send in several pieces of supporting documentation.  CRA estimates that I will not have my notice of assessment until September 18.  you need to fix this glitch. I should have been able to access and change my error. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I give feedback on the TurboTax system. I experienced a major failure of the system that has significant impacts on our lives this summer.

It sounds more like a lack of familiarity with the program than a glitch. 

Without knowing exactly what you filled in where, I would have recommended doing one of the following:

1.  Checking your bottom line summary under the review tab would have shown the error, and double-clicking the line would have suggested auto expense, office in home costs and capital cost allowance.

2.  If you had clicked on the income tab, you would have seen a section for employment expenses, which might have helped you locate it.

3. Start a new return from scratch.  It's the fastest way to deal with this situation when you are not familiar with the software.

Hopefully CRA gets you sorted out soon.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It sounds more like a lack of familiarity with the program than a glitch. 

Without knowing exactly what you filled in where, I would have recommended doing one of the following:

1.  Checking your bottom line summary under the review tab would have shown the error, and double-clicking the line would have suggested auto expense, office in home costs and capital cost allowance.

2.  If you had clicked on the income tab, you would have seen a section for employment expenses, which might have helped you locate it.

3. Start a new return from scratch.  It's the fastest way to deal with this situation when you are not familiar with the software.

Hopefully CRA gets you sorted out soon.

rhino2

Just to add to that (and to help others avoid similar situations), any time you are "experimenting" with the software, it is a good idea to use a dummy return, and always start a fresh one for your actual return.

You do not pay for online editions until you are ready to print or netfile, so there is no cost to do this. In desktop editions, a return is only counted towards the limit when you print or file it.
alsenj

I find the new 2015 TurboTax for Canada online is cumbersome and slow compared to last year's. Filling out T slips is overly slow and cumbersome when each is on a different page with a save in between (as it takes long depending on number of users online and amount of data), where as last year's one could simply move from one to the other without going out of each T slip and then save when one is finished. Also, we could move between spouse and filer easily without reloading page or saving.

Why does the cosmetic format have to change each year? why not get the easiest input method and change the regulations and calculations in the background as it is just an excel spreadsheet with a cosmetic interface that keeps changing. The object should be to make it quick and accurate, good looks should be the last thing you worry about!

Also, I have found no contact info or feedback page available, so one can tell turbotax.ca directly what we think of their product(s).