Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uplook53

I had to reintall the 2016 Turbo Tax on my new computer but it won't let me update it to the latest version. How do I do that?

I have a downloaded version of the software.

5 Replies

I had to reintall the 2016 Turbo Tax on my new computer but it won't let me update it to the latest version. How do I do that?

Each year’s versions of TurboTax has only the forms for that year. So the 2016 program only has tax forms and information for 2016. You have to purchase the 2017 version to get the 2017 forms.

We do this because if you need to open your 2016 files in the future, an update would overwrite all of that year’s forms and you wouldn’t be able to use the 2016 files. Leaving all the files from previous years and just adding the new ones would cause the program to be too big.

You can purchase TurboTax CD/Download for 2017 here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/download-tax-software.jsp

Not the question being asked. I have installed the Turbo Tax for the tax year 2016 but it needs updates, not a new program.  I am looking for the update that it needs.

When you download your 2016 software, in order to update your software you will follow these steps

Skyracer
Returning Member

These steps do not work and the link to manually download an update for the 2016 version does not work.  Please provide. Thank you.

If you have followed these steps and nothing worked please contact our customer service as they can view your screen.