Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing an error on province of self employment income is different then province of residence but not reporting self employed income but t4

4 Replies

Showing an error on province of self employment income is different then province of residence but not reporting self employed income but t4

Do you have any amounts in box 81, 82 or 83 on your T4 slip? The CRA considers this to be self-employment income, and requires you to fill out the Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities. You only need to fill out the basic information and you don’t need a business number, GST registration, inventory or anything like that. You can, however, claim expenses that you incurred to earn this income.

To get to the self-employment section, click on the “Find” icon in the top right and search for “Self”. Select “Self-Employment” and then click the “Go” button.

If you don’t have any amounts in box 81, 82 or 83 on your T4 slip, you can contact our phone support team for more assistance. They can share your screen and try to help you figure out why this issue is occurring. You can get the correct number by using this form: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

KH51
Returning Member

I am getting an error on province of self employment income but don't have any self employment income.  I now live in BC and I do have a T4 from Ontario as well as rental income on a house I own in Ontario.  Can you help me figure out how to report.  It says I'm not eligible for netfiling??

levlove

I went into the forms and had to change the Personal Information worksheet, it showed there that my province of residence was incorrect. I double clicked on it to erase the information, saved it and then I could netfile

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

In the Personal Information Profile, make sure to choose your Province of Residency properly as the province you resided in as of December 31, 2019 regardless of your address now.

Add your current address in the Mailing address section.

The third-place where you would need the province or full address is in the rental sheet or the business sheet if you receive a T4A Boxes 20 and 48 (you will need to complete a business sheet yourself).

Make sure the addresses and the provinces are correct in these three areas. 

I hope this was helpful