Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tridus

Data transfer from online to desktop

Just ran into the same problem. I bought what I thought was the online version, except there's a disk in it unexpectedly. So to use that I either have to start over, or pay again to use the online version?

This is incredibly poor design and extremely disappointing. Very unsatisfied with the product this year.

I think this is just  a terrible gap in functionality and service.   Have used  Turbotax Deluxe on-line edition for many years.    Purchased from Costco or Best Buy and it allows for up to 8 returns.    Started doing my 2021 return and now this year Turbotax ( for my benefit apparently) forced me to upgrade to the Premier edition.    Ok,  so I Returned the Deluxe on line edition to the store and purchased the premier edition for desktop  that allows 12 returns only to discover now that I can't transfer data from on-line to desktop.   So I  can't use the same edition as prior years even though my tax situation is unchanged and now can't upgrade to the premier edition for doing multiple returns without starting over.  

jane10
Returning Member

Argh!  I'm in the exact same boat.  Previously used desktop version and accidentally did them online last year.  Now I can't get the info back.  So frustrating.  Come on Intuit!!  Step it up!  

Intuit have offered a route to save to tax files from online fir US Tirbo Tax users but have stiffed Canadian Turbo tax users. Frustrating company to deal with that have draconian customer practices.  🙄 

JanGnat

I purchased a new laptop.  I downloaded Turbo Tax for 2021; however, only two of the returns I did are showing.  I don't know how to find the other ones.  Guess, I'll have to enter everything manually for 2022.

@ JanGnat The default save location for TurboTax CD/Download 2021 is: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax\2021 

If you can’t find your files there, you can use the search function of Windows to look for file with the .tt21 extension.

Unfortunately, since the files are saved on your computer, if you can’t find them, we would not be able to help you find them.

I agree with most users- Download version is much better having option to go back and see what and where you enter data and to go back and test different scenarios (in last year data) to see what will be the most beneficial for you following year as a draft for new tax return. I made mistake last year too so I will to do lots of unnecessary data entry this year. 

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.